Saturday, December 4, 2021

The Patient in Hospital Zero

This book is written by @ramonadepares and was gifted to me by @merlinkotba . This is a non-spoiler review of the book. 

This is not the type of book that I usually read although the book cover would have intrigued me to buy it. This is the book that left me speechless this year!!

The Patient in Hospital Zero is a collection of nine stories some of them are situated here in Malta. It is a mixture of dark, bizarre, dystopian and twisted tales. The book represents the dark side of the human being whether consciously or not consciously done. The characters involved are not to be considered wrongdoers (I think) however they make decisions that are raw, immediate, direct and that sometimes are driven by selfishness, greed, lust and survival. Some stories I had to re-read because I couldn’t believe what I was reading. The stories left me perplexed!

In this review I am going to summarize only two of the stories to help you get an idea. This review will not make justice on how brilliantly this book is written. This masterpiece is something out of the ordinary.

The first story takes us in the middle of a hectic rush hour in Malta. We encounter a woman that finds her good luck charm with an accident. Driven by this obsession for good luck, she expects something that is considered weird enough to think about it let alone plan in on a calendar.

The second story is very relatable to the current situation. In the middle of a Pandemic two female characters found themselves stuck in hospital. The hospital had to be abandoned with no one there to support them and with lack of basic needs. Mark, the character’s boyfriend had to make a decision that effect the whole life of these two characters without knowing. This is the story that left me thinking.

I can't recommend this book enough. If you are someone that wants a non-boring book with a hint of dark, this is for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment