Tuesday, January 4, 2022

L-Ispettur Montalbano: Il-Forma tal-Ilma

 I have decided that for the first book of the year I read the first translated book of the Montalbano series: Il-Forma tal-Ilma *The Form of Water * by Andrea Camilleri. Translated by Antoinette Borg. This book was gifted to me by @Merlinkotba. The genre of this book is a mystery crime based in Sicily. It is also a tv series. I am writing this review in English since there are various translated editions of this book.

The story is about a murder that happened in Vigàta. The lifeless body of the engineer and politician Silvio Luparello was found in an abandoned field and Inspector Salvo Montalbano, the main character of the book has to identify what happened. Pressured by the police, bishop and judges of Vigàta, to close the case as soon as possible, Montalbano was not convinced that Luparello died of natural causes. So, he has to involve himself into an irregular network of paths that might help him to uncover the truth.

I found this book  as a slow placed-read. I usually avoid crime novels however I gave this book a tentative shot. I was not disappointed however it is not the best book I have read so far. I read some reviews that Camilleri develops his style of writing throughout the series. Montalbano is a very interesting character and a very complex one. Sometimes too complex for me. The plot is engaging however it is short in the description of the characters. I expected the plot to be simple for just 188 pages however, it turned out to be much more complicated. I read the Maltese translation. Antoinette Borg made an incredible job, at least now we have the first copy of the series. What I suggest is that before reading the book, watch the series. I know that many prefer reading before watching. Nonetheless, it can help to get to know the characters more personally. Thank-you Merlin and Antoinette for this translated copy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment